Thursday, May 3, 2018

Henry: A Son of God, an Addict, a Friend of Mine.

On a mission you are not often lead to people who are totally prepared for baptism; more often you are lead to people the Lord simply needs you to love. 

In the beginning, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Henry and the Lord knew it. I was easily frustrated with his actions and quite frankly, I saw what he was capable of and became disappointed when he didn’t live up to that. However, over and over again I was prompted by the Spirit to love Henry and his wife, Christy, more. (My companion was all ready so good at loving them and this was hard for me.) So I started searching for reasons to love and believe in them.

By the time I left the area, Henry and Christy had a special place in my heart; they still do. I grew to love them because, after much prayer, I was able to see them the way the Lord did. I knew what they could become and more than anything I wanted them to achieve that. 

Unfortunately, Henry was trapped by the draining influence of addiction. Last night Henry overdosed on drugs and as a result, his life here in mortality ended. He left behind family and friends who love him dearly, especially his wife. He lost a battle he fought for a long time. 

Henry did love his Savior and he did have the mustard seed faith that had beautiful potential. He had a story and a heartache that never really went away. He had a big heart and a willingness to serve, in his sober mind. He wanted more for his life, I could see it in his eyes; but sometimes it was just too much for him.

I do not share this story to hurt Henry or his family or to be disrespectful in any way. I share it because I feel we need to see addictions and addicts in a different light than we do. They are children of God, caught up in Satan’s temptations. They belong to someone; they are a daughter, son, mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, wife, husband, cousin, friend. 

Addicts DO NOT need our judgement, they need our love. 

For some of you, this is hard to accept. You may face a broken heart and other serious damage from someone you know as an addict; I face that trial myself. I’m not saying you have to forget that; you do not have to pretend that you’re simply okay with their actions or however they may have mistreated you. But PLEASE do not judge them. That is not our job. That is not our calling. 

Matthew 7:1-4
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Or Luke 6:37
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven

Moving forward with peace in your heart may require you to forgive those who have wronged you. And let me note, forgiveness is not an act that requires us to trust again or allow a person to resume an active position in our lives. Forgiveness is the act or process of allowing peace to replace the hurt. 

Remember that every person placed upon this earth is your brother or your sister in Heavenly Father. He sent us here to love one another as He has so mercifully loves us. 

Henry is only one example of someone I love dearly who suffers with addiction. I pray that he might find peace and that he may come to truly understand the love the Father has for him. I know that I will see him again someday and I hope that it is a joyous occasion. He will forever be someone who influenced my life and someone who I am grateful every day, that my Heavenly Father and my Savior asked me to love.

If you know someone who is suffering with addiction, please extend your love to them in any way you can. Please help them, seek help. Remind them of their potential and their divine nature as a son or daughter of God. That divinity is within us all. 

There are many great help programs in place. One I have had personal experience with and LOVE is Addiction Recovery. https://addictionrecovery.lds.org/?lang=eng

To those who are struggling, seek the help. Spend another day here with those who love you. Remember your Savior, Jesus Christ, who died that you might live. Remember that you are worth it.

Henry, I love you. May we meet again.




                                          


2 comments:

  1. I love this Casey. You have touched my heart and so many other's as well. I'm sure Henry loved you and appreciated the love you showed to him and his wife. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights, they are a blessing to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re so sweet Geri! Thank you! Love you lots!

      Delete