Thursday, March 1, 2018

Living Waters

While I was in the Missionary Training Center in Provo, we took a walk to the temple. I noticed the water running down on the walls near the sidewalk. That is something that I have noticed before but I always thought this was just for landscaping purposes; water is beautiful and it tends to catch the eye. I don’t remember who, but someone shared with me the symbolism of the water that is found outside of Latter-Day Saint temples. 



The water found at the temples symbolizes Jesus Christ as the Living Waters. Found in the Book of Mormon is an explanation to the prophet Nephi about the dream his prophet father, Lehi, had. It says, “And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.” (1 Nephi 11:25).



The comparison of the love of God and water has stood out in my mind for quite some time. Allow me to share some of my thoughts!

Water makes up 50-65% of the human body. It is essential for us to have, to live! If the body didn’t have the nourishment of water, it would begin to show signs of dehydration. We would experience dry skin, lack of energy, dizziness, fainting, etc. Lack of water puts our physical health in danger. (This wasn’t intended to be a health lesson, but DANG I need to drink more water… haha).

The same goes for our spiritual health when we are not partakers of the Living Water. We show signs of a spiritual dehydration which is just as dangerous. We lack the energy that brings us to a higher level of joy. Our spiritual shields begin to dry up, crack and eventually break leaving us exposed to the world’s darkness. We experience a sense of confusion while making decisions and on occasion, feel a little lost.  At times, it feels almost impossible to stand on our own feet. 

Now when it comes to water, I’m the first to admit I would much rather a Coke. I don’t always like to drink water and sometimes I go the whole day without even thinking about it. The same goes for my daily intake of the love of God. Sometimes, I would rather binge watch Netflix than open the Book of Mormon and some nights I’m laying bed about to drift off and realize I forgot to kneel and say a prayer. Like water, the love of Jesus Christ needs and deserves a place in our being. We need DAILY intake, the recommended “8 glasses”. 

Remember the promise from the Savior to the woman at the well. He said unto her, “But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.”




The Savior NEVER breaks His promises. He lives and He is the Living Water of which we are asked to partake.

                        





No comments:

Post a Comment