Thursday, January 22, 2015

Becoming a Less Active

   Excuse me while I rant for a few moments.  I usually try to keep my blog posts pretty positive so I hope this post has some kind of positive effect on you or it was really for nothing.  

   I think the effect that social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) has on relationships and marriages is UNREAL. I am a big Facebook user, I think it is good for SO many reasons; however, couples looking for a real connection in a relationship should PUT DOWN THE PHONE. Have enough respect for your significant other to be conscious of that and to make them a priority.

   People are spending so much time online nowadays and that's okay, to an extent.  The web is FULL of useful information and helpful tools for our daily lives. However, having access to these things all the time doesn't mean we should constantly be glued to a screen. We should be spending time with the people that really matter to us!  We should be taking time to appreciate the world around us, the nature side of it.  

   Along with the useful information that the web has for us, it has thousands of sites with temptations. I know when I'm scrolling through articles online there are constantly ads for dating sites and then comes the ads for online games. Half of the time, the ads for games contain some kind of inappropriate content. There are many people in this world that will click on those things out of curiosity thinking it will be harmless. Unfortunately, that is how a lot of addictions start and addictions become detrimental to that person and their family and friends.

   I read a mind boggling article headline the other day while scrolling through my Facebook Newsfeed. It read "Facebook Now Cited in a Third of Divorce Cases." This to me is more than sad. HOW can talking to one person online completely destroy a relationship? A lot of things I have read mention that Facebook can reconnect you with an old flame and that can lead to flirting and so on... How sad is it that people don't have enough self control to stay away from those temptations and love their spouses unconditionally?

   I have never been married, but the way I see it is you married your spouse for a reason. You vowed to be faithful to them and be their companion in all things, not just when it's convenient. They are supposed to be your the person who you are working in unity with. They should be the person you 'flirt' with and spend your hours with. 

If you are unfaithful to your spouse, what makes you think you still deserve your spouse's love and affection in full? You cannot expect more than what you want to put in. I have heard many cases of people being unfaithful because they felt,"unneeded, unwanted and unloved". They go looking for something else. I think often, we are "spending time together" but on our devices. It's simple really... humans need human interaction.


Image result for cell phone in bed picture between couple
Photo credit: ogilvy.com


   I would also like to add, I strongly believe that God should be the center and strongest part of your relationship. Having God as the focus of your marriage and family will definitely change the outcome. Temptations become easier to avoid, you won't need 'satisfaction' from social media and you will learn that family is one of the most important things in life.  


Image result for god and marriage triangle
pinterest.com

   It is never too late to make a change, so start today. Be more faithful and devoted to those that you love. I make a promise right now to myself that in my future, when I have a family of my own, I will become a less active user.

No comments:

Post a Comment