Tuesday, October 16, 2018

What I Learned During a 10-Day Social Media Fast

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints I had the opportunity to participate in our bi-annual General Conference on October 6th and 7th. Every six months we are blessed to hear the living Prophet of the Lord speak. He is guided through prayer and revelation as to what things we, as a people, need to know. When he speaks, he is not only speaking to members of The Church, but to the ENTIRE world. God loves ALL of His children and is therefore desirous that they ALL receive His word and instruction in these last days. 

President Russell M. Nelson
(www.lds.org)
This conference, in addition to the General Sessions, we had a General Women's Session for women ages eight and up.  Prophet President Russell M. Nelson's call to women was that we might help in the gathering of Israel by doing things to positively shape the future. In this session, he issued four challenges to help us rise to a level to do so. 
  1. Participate in a 10-Day social media (or other impure media) fast
  2. Read the Book of Mormon between now and the end of the year
  3. Establish a pattern of regular temple attendance
  4. Be active participants in the Relief Society
Apparently there was some controversy that followed this challenge. Throughout the world people were ridiculing President Nelson for the 10-day fast invitation for various worldly reasons. As for me, when I first heard this list, I was excited to take on the challenges. I could immediately see benefits and was excited to see what else would be revealed to me.

I would like to share the things I learned while participating in that 10-day social media fast and interestingly enough, how acting on that one challenge helped me move forward in action on the other three challenges! Neat how the Lord works, isn't it? 

Here's what I learned!
  • Without social media we have closer relationships and better conversations 
    • In the first 24 hours of my fast, so many things were posted to Facebook, even important, vital news. It was really cool to see how friends reached out via other forms of communication to share that with me. Because of that, our conversations meant more than just a quick "comment" or a "like" or even... a "love". We talked about life, caught up, and discussed the news at hand in further detail. We talked about the gospel and other such things and shared real feelings with one another. I felt closer to my friends, even being in far physical distance from them.
  • Without this worldly influence, revelation comes more clearly and quicker
    • While attending my institute class this last week, I had thoughts come clearly to my mind while we were having a discussion. I could make connections with talks and scriptures. I could remember what I read the previous night and was able to apply it to my day. I was able to hear direction more clearly from the Lord. I honestly felt the whisperings of the Holy Ghost touch my heart and my mind in ways that I haven't had for a while. His words and guidance were not clouded by the loud voices on social media or other impure media. I also filtered out shows on Netflix that weren't bad, but they also weren't good. That increased my ability to learn spiritually.
  • It's easier to make better choices without social media (or at least limited social media use)
    • This was so neat to me. It's not that I was making bad choices while using social media but it did eat up my time and consumed my thoughts. I found myself using this extra time to workout and to study the scriptures and conference talks. I found more time to serve and love others. Here's a tie in to two other challenges; I really wanted to spend more time at the temple and more time in the Book of Mormon. SO I DID.
  • It's okay to filter crap out of your life and out of your news feed
    • I actually really enjoy social media, mostly for the sake of keeping up with friends and family that don't live nearby, but I do enjoy it. I think it has the power to be an influence for good if we let it but you also have to learn to filter out the crap! Unfollow, unfriend, and disengage. It's ALL okay to do! When you feel contention because of a post, unfollow or unfriend this group or person. When someone retaliates against a comment you make, LET IT GO. There are times when you might feel inspired to make yourself clear, stand up for what you believe in or share something otherwise, I think that is great! I would just urge that you don't let one comment made take over your day, emotion or happiness. 
  • My soul and mind were being held captive
    • This was something I didn't realize AT ALL. A few days went by during the first while and I wasn't feeling trapped or tied down anymore. I began to experience more joy, confidence and understanding in my life. Social media and other impure media (like my silly Netflix binges) were holding me down. During my day, I was thinking about a comment made instead of a service I could be doing. I was thinking about how the next episode was going to go instead of putting in more study time for my next institute class. I was wondering what I should post concerning a political or religious discussion instead of taking more time to pray about truth. I was held captive by this fast-paced, fantasy, online world. FOR WHAT? Nothing. Nothing can replace real, meaningful moments in your real, unfiltered life. Do NOT sacrifice those. BREAK FREE from the demands of society and social media.
  • People are struggling throughout the world AND in my own family
    • Social media was constantly bringing to my attention the trials of others throughout the world. During this fast I was able to see more clearly, the trials within my own family and friends. This is not meant to be a negative realization, just one that opened my eyes and sparked a desire to serve those that are close to me AS WELL as those throughout the world in need.
  • It's more interesting and more fun to talk to people (other living, breathing humans next to you) than to stare at your phone
    • Now, this is something I firmly believed before this 10-day fast but I too am guilty. When sitting next to a stranger at the doctor, school, store, office, etc. I sometimes use my phone/social media as a crutch to not have to start a conversation with someone I don't even know. You know why? I'm fearful of being awkward. But during these 10 days I watched faces literally light up as I made an effort to talk to new people. One was at a pharmacy, there was a long wait to get a flu shot so in the waiting room I sat next to an older gentleman and I simply asked, "How are you doing today?" He replied with his life story. Haha! But hey! I met someone new and got to learn a thing or two. 
TWO THUMBS UP RECOMMEND THIS EXPERIENCE!

I learned so much during these 10-days, these are just a few of those realizations. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to take a break, to open my eyes and to learn that it's okay to limit my time online and on my phone. I'm grateful that through this experience the desire to serve others, serve in the temple, and study the Book of Mormon became much stronger in my life. 

I would also like to make mention that I do NOT think the Lord is asking we take ourselves off of social media, I think He is only asking that we limit our time online and spend more time in the moment. I also think He is asking that we have a purpose in our use of media; how might we make the world a better place while using social media?

If you're still reading, thank you! Also, feel free to share and comment :) I would also like to point you to another post I made a while back concerning your phone/media and your relationships. Click here!!

2 comments:

  1. Casey you have such a good way with words. Everything you sais was so inspiring. Itill hnk you should go out in journalism

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said! You are a very talented young lady, as well as inspiring!

    ReplyDelete